February 15, 2010

Candy Dishes

My parents live about an hour and fifteens minutes from me. They still live in the big old two story house that we grew up in. The house sits on about four acres, and although it is located within the city limits, my parents don't have close neighbors.

There is an old granary on my parent’s property. My daddy bought it many years ago and moved it to town. The granary is a round, tin building with a cement floor. It is a perfect storage building. I have on several occasions during my adult life needed a place to store some of my “treasures”.

One of those occasions was a few years ago. I sold the home in which I lived and moved in with my brother and his family while my new house was being built. I packed up a bunch of stuff in plastic storage bins and took them to the “granary”. When my new house was completed, I retrieved what I needed immediately; with the best of intentions to retrieve the rest of it as soon as I got everything else put away. Over the course of the next seven years, yes, I said SEVEN YEARS, my dad would mention now and then that I still had some plastic boxes in the granary. I mostly ignored his comments, because you know he wasn’t charging me rent, he didn’t threaten to throw my stuff away and quite frankly I didn’t have a place for all that stuff.

Last summer I decided I would have a garage sale. I drove to my parents to go though my "storage building". We brought all the boxes out of the granary and I began to sort through my stuff. One person’s junk is another person’s treasure, right?

I thought I had a good idea of what was stored in each container. However, in one of the boxes, I found this candy dish. I can't for the life of me remember where it came from or why I left it in storage for so long. I LOVE it.


I have always, always had a love for old glassware. I would much rather have an old glass candy dish; than a new crystal one. I also love browsing through antique stores. Not the fancy, smancy overpriced ones, but the ones that are a little on the junky side. Saturday afternoon I was out and about and decided to stop at a couple of antique stores in town. In the second store I found this candy dish. The guy told me it was from the 40’s or 50’s. He stated you could buy the dish back then in the dime store. It cost more than a dime; but it had my name on it. Happy Valentine’s Day to me!






I was drawn to another dish in this same store. It didn’t have a lid and it cost $40. Dorky me; I thought the tag said Hershey Compote. I liked it...a lot, but I wasn't going to pay $40 for a Hershey Compote. I don't even know what a compote is. When I asked the guy about it, he stated it was a Heisey Compote. He stated that Heisey went out of business in 1957 and that was the reason for the $40 price tag. He stated a compote would not have a lid. Hmmm. I told him I would put it on my wish list. Needless to say, when I got home I did a little research on Heisey glassware.

I hope you had a beautiful day. I soaked in the sunshine.

Blessings,


1 comment:

Jacque said...

Wow, the first one is absolutely gorgeous! Good for you finding that lost treasure.